Group alarm is something that can occupy you during certain basic circumstances, however you can get terrified when you’re separated from everyone else too. So, there are a few things you can do to help yourself and keep the circumstance from deteriorating.
We at zgrnews checked out some practical tips that can save your life in case of an emergency when you’re alone, and we want to share them with you.
1. How to help yourself if you begin choking
Choking cuts off oxygen to the brain so it’s crucial to give first aid as quickly as possible. If you’re alone, use this method.
- Make a firm fist and place it slightly above your navel.
- Wrap your fist with the other hand and bend over a countertop or chair.
- Shove your fist inward and upward to make the object move up.
Also, you can try to perform the Heimlich maneuver.
- Make a firm fist with any hand that’s convenient for you.
- Now press your fist against your abdomen below the ribcage but above the navel. Cover your other hand around your fist.
- Start pressing against your abdomen until the piece of food is dislodged. Make sharp and quick upward thrusts to dislodge the stuck object.
The head-down position is another way to help yourself. It’s typically recommended during choking in children below one year. If the Heimlich maneuver doesn’t help, try this:
- Bend at the lower back so that the body is perpendicular to the floor. Lean on your hands.
- You can also use a chair to rest your legs and knees on as it’s shown in the picture.