Get Permanent Residency In Europe – Guide

France and Germany are highly sought-after study destinations among international students. France boasts 31 participants in the QS World University Rankings for 2020, 10 of which rank within the world’s Top 300 universities, while Germany can claim one university positioned among the best worldwide in each major city, 13 among Top 250 and 30 among Top 500 – solid proof that both these nations belong to an exclusive global higher education club.

France and Germany are the two anchor members of the European Union (EU), an association made up of 27 member nations designed to ease movement of people, products, and data across borders. Students hoping to settle down after they complete their studies can find options such as EU Blue Cards for long-term residency purposes in these two nations that will make life easier once their studies conclude. This article offers information regarding this option as well as others for students wanting to stay permanently after having studied there.

Residency In Europe – EU Blue Card

An EU Blue Card serves as a residence permit that enables qualified non-EU nationals to enter and remain in any EU nation in search of employment, as long as their permit remains valid. EU Blue Card holders are treated just like residents in their new location while being eligible to search for work in any field that interest them – this residency permit serves as one essential pathway to permanent residency within Europe for foreign alumni. Following countries provide EU Blue Cards:

  1. Austria
  2. Belgium
  3. Bulgaria
  4. Croatia
  5. Cyprus
  6. Czech Republic
  7. Estonia
  8. Finland
  9. France
  10. Germany
  11. Greece
  12. Hungary
  13. Italy
  14. Latvia
  15. Lithuania
  16. Luxembourg
  17. Malta
  18. Netherlands
  19. Poland
  20. Portugal 21 Romania
  21. Slovakia
  22. Slovenia
  23. Spain
  24. Sweden

Sweden The EU Blue Card is highly sought after due to the many advantages it provides – long-term validity, freedom of movement within Europe and potentially longer term residence in an individual country. Many international students aim to fulfill all requirements for an EU Blue Card after graduating; however they should take note that employers frequently ask for proof of both work experience as well as relevant university skills when making this determination.

International students presently on student visas do not qualify for EU Blue Cards; however, should they find employment during their studies that meets qualification measures for this card, their application can be submitted upon graduation and presented for consideration when their certificate has been completed. Even if this doesn’t happen during your studies you can still apply for a residence permit allowing you to remain back for 12-15 years depending on your host nation’s rules that will give them time to find suitable work; qualification rules for EU Blue Cards for students include:

Your nation should appear on the list of qualified countries eligible to obtain an EU Blue Card.

Your education should consist of at least four years from an EU university or other recognized establishment overseas.

At minimum, employers require at least five years of relevant work experience in your chosen field of endeavor before considering you for employment. While work experience may serve as a stand-in for university degrees in some instances, managers usually want evidence of your abilities alongside relevant experience.

Your work contract or job offer should last at least a year if the position requires highly specialized abilities or is limited in EU market opportunities. Furthermore, your boss must show proof of marketing the position within EU for at least 10 days to prove seriousness of their efforts to recruit for it.

As a rule of thumb, compensation requirements in your host country should be 1.5 times its national norm; for locations facing an ability shortage however, compensation threshold should be reduced to 1.2 times their respective national norms.

Your health insurance costs and substantial social duties and expenses in your host country have likely already been paid for.

Your application for an EU working permit card should be made within your chosen EU state and, depending on where you reside, should be presented at an official location in order to initiate this process.

Advantages Of EU Blue Card

Coming up next are a portion of the advantages of the EU Blue Card:

  1. Long-Term Validity – Your Blue Card will remain valid for a total period of four years depending on the duration of your work contract/offer.
  2. Freedom of Movement – Travel freely between EU countries as a tourist for up to 90 days every six months without fear of losing your residency permit. You may even remain out of the country for an entire year without losing it!
  3. Family Reunification – An EU Blue Card also makes it possible for you to reunite your close family, enabling them to work legally in any occupation with the necessary work permit without needing to pass a language proficiency assessment test as part of their application.
  4. Permanent Residency – To apply for long-term residency in any EU state after 33 months (21 if language proficiency in their native tongue of 23 months).

Residency In Europe – Long Term EU Residence Permit

EU long-term residence permits offer super durable residence to foreign nationals who have lived in an EU country for five or more years, without additional notification or time limitations being placed on its validity. To apply for such a visa as a foreign national, one must meet certain qualification standards that must be fulfilled:

  1. Your financial resources must be sufficient to support yourself and any wards who reside with you.
  2. Your language proficiency must meet or surpass 81 on a scale of 100 for the country you are applying to.
  3. Your host country requires that you possess basic information regarding its legal and social system.
  4. Living facilities should be sufficient and legal for you and any dependants who might accompany you.

Doing the application interaction while your current temporary residence permit/visa remains valid is key, since no meetings take place during this process and any chance at success hinges on what documents are submitted during it. Required archives during application interaction:

  1. One photo compliant with Schengen rules
  2. Color duplicates of the identification pages that include your personal details as well as any stickers or stamps attached are printed out for you to keep.
  3. Evidence of your long-term residency within the country; related documents should provide sufficient proof.

• A substantial enrollment authentication from when you showed up in the country.
• Proof of residence like service bills and tenant agreements
• Proof, for example, pay slips, bank articulations, Assessment form and so forth

  1. Provide Proof of Payment as Part of Your Work Contract/Bank Articulations Agreement/Order
  2. Proof of Convenience as Tenancy Agreement or House Purchase Report
  3. Proof of Health Insurance

Before becoming too burdened by this requirement, note that these are just general EU requirements; some particular countries might impose additional criteria based on how you classify candidates. Be certain to collect all pertinent data and reports prior to beginning an application dialogue process.

Long term permits vary depending on the requirements of your host country; in most instances they are renewed automatically by year’s end without needing to meet any preconditions or criteria.

Note: Cost of an EU long-term residence permit varies widely across countries. Candidates applying in the Netherlands need to pay EUR 171, while Germany charges just EUR 109 for such permits.